Team is looking for a talented individual to lead our Device Testing group.
The role of the Device Testing function is to ensure we achieve the highest quality and integrity in testing medical devices from the early development stages through to industrialisation. The group supports our projects, adopting best testing practices while helping to find the right balance between bespoke and industry standard solutions.
The Head of Device Testing oversees a group with a broad skill set covering laboratory and equipment management, medical device development and testing expertise. The role requires technical contribution on a range of projects within Team in the capacity of advisor, consultant, or technical reviewer. The ability to engage and work effectively with consultants and colleagues across our business, and that of our clients, is critical to success in this role.
- Driving the Device Testing team vision and development
- Expert communication of the approach, rationale, and best practices in device testing which may range from early proof of concept through to design verification, manufacturing scale-up and product launch
- Technical leadership in medical device development projects
- Line Management of the Device Testing group; ensuring the current high standards of expertise are maintained and developed. This will require working closely with all members of the group and wider company including EH&S and Quality
- Development of new business in a product development consultancy, working with the commercial team
The Head of Device Testing reports to the Programme Director.
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree or equivalent experience in Science, Life Science or Mechanical Engineering
- Broad experience of the medical product development process from concept through to industrialisation and manufacture, across a variety of products/projects
- Technical skills around testing practices, statistical analysis of data and a deep understanding of relevant industry testing standards and guidance
- Thorough understanding of quality and regulatory expectations, e.g. data integrity per ALCOA, cGxP
- Application and understanding of key industry standards including ISO13485, 14971 and 21CFR Part 820
- Experienced resource manager (equipment, space and people)
- Experience supporting sales activities including a proven ability in proposal preparation covering evaluation of project risks, project planning and costing
- Detailed understanding of one of the following markets:
- Drug delivery (injectables, inhalation, or drug packaging)
- Surgical / critical care
- Diagnostic instrumentation
- High industry profile
Leadership / Consultancy Skills
- Line Management experience of managing, mentoring and developing people in a matrix organisation
- Client focused in all activities and can build and maintain strong client relationships
- Excellent organisational skills and able to prioritise conflicting requirements
- Excellent leadership, management and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues, clients and sub-contractors at all levels
- Contribution to corporate growth and development
- Thought leadership
- Passionate about and committed to driving excellence and best practice in own discipline; demonstrable track record of continuous learning, knowledge sharing and of nurturing the talents of others
- Has a positive and engaging communication style
- Inspires confidence and gains the trust of clients and colleagues through personal style and professional/technical credibility
- Respectful of others’ views, opinions and contributions, and supportive of colleagues
- Collaborates effectively and is a good team player, including being aware of own limitations and of the strengths of others
- Excellent attention to detail
- Decisive, adaptable and pragmatic
- Resilient and calm under pressure
- Shows integrity and honesty at all times
Additional Role Requirements and Working Patterns
This role will require travel from time to time as we serve an international client base
This role requires predominantly on site working
Team values equality, diversity and inclusion in employment and recruitment. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and an inclusive community, where our talented people respect and value the contributions, skills, and abilities of others.
We want our people to succeed on merit, treating individuals equally, including making decisions and providing encouragement and opportunities relating to recruitment, career development and retention in a fair and consistent manner.
Our aim is a workplace free from all forms of bullying, harassment or victimisation, and unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.