Due to continued and growing interest in medical photonics, we have a new and exciting opportunity for an experienced and passionate senior optics consultant to join our Engineering team. We are looking for an individual with substantial experience working with photonics-enabled medical devices, coupled with the determination and ambition to grow and promote our capability in this niche area of applied science.
In addition to optics expertise, the successful candidate will have a track record of supporting the full product development lifecycle, from concept through to detailed design, verification and industrialisation phases. This support may have been in project management or technical lead roles, working as part of multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that the end product meets client needs.This is a permanent role and is preferably suited to candidates with substantial experience in the medical devices industry. Working at Senior Consultant level, the successful candidate will have the confidence and credibility to work with clients pro-actively and directly in both technical and commercial roles.
Technical/ Research Skills
- Good degree, 2:1 or above in relevant discipline e.g. Electronics Engineering.
- Substantial experience (5+ years) in practical optical development including:
- Image acquisition and processing
- Optical path design
- Practical lab experience of lenses, photodiodes, spectrometers, splitters and other optical components
- Experience of design for manufacturability of optical subsystems
- Previous experience (5+ years) in a research and development environment
- Experience working on and leading product development lifecycles from concept and feasibility through to detailed design, verification and industrialisation phases.
- Experience of working within an ISO13485 environment or similar
- IEC60601 familiarity
- IS014971 familiarity
- Advanced studies in relevant or related area e.g. Optics and Photonics (Masters or PhD)
- Previous experience working with optical CAE tools
- Capable of working on non-photonics design aspects where needed
- Experience of coding to support design activities e.g. Python or Matlab
- Experience of developing healthcare products including medical devices, to be manufactured in low, medium and high volume.
- Strong credibility and experience supporting clients throughout the project cycle
- Structured and methodical problem-solving ability
- Ability to effectively communicate and interpret complex technical information to a range of audiences.
- Previous experience working within a consultancy environment would be advantageous.
- Self- motivated and capable of effectively managing own priorities and workload
- Willingness to take responsibility and drive activities
- Adept at networking and building strong relationships with clients, colleagues and external technical peers
- Passionate about the development of useful and practical photonics based medical devices
- Determined and tenacious, keen to drive growth and develop Team’s capability in the photonics area of applied science
- Confident with a positive attitude and engaging communication style
- Respectful of other views, opinions or contributions
- Displaying honesty and integrity at all times
- Eager to continually learn and improve.