Team Consulting is an employee-owned business, set in the heart of the Ickleton countryside, just south of Cambridge. We encourage a hybrid working model and a culture that supports flexible working.
We're looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineering Consultant who will be responsible for the technical leadership of defined work packages within Teams medical device and systems development projects. Our clients look to Team to support in all stages of product development, from early concept development and planning stages through detailed design to transfer to manufacture, design verification, scale-up and launch. The role will primarily focus on technical delivery, ensuring that the end-products meet our clients’ needs in terms of product robustness and process reliability.
- Technical leadership of device development programmes, helping the team deliver against client and company project objectives
- Supporting colleagues in the application and development of their skills and experience, especially of the more junior members of staff, both within the mechanical engineering teams and across other groups
- Taking a lead when interacting with clients, while building trusting and lasting relationships with them
- Supporting business development opportunities, through networking, representing the company externally, and leading or contributing to proposals
- Managing projects or packages of work, including collaborating with colleagues, contractors and clients.
Depending on your specific expertise and breadth of experience, there will also be scope for technical contributions on a range of projects, in a capacity of advisor, consultant or technical reviewer.
Qualifications & Skills
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent suitable engineering experience
- Significant experience in healthcare and medical products or a similar highly regulated industry
- Proven track record in the design and development of robust, reliable, innovative medical products and devices, from concept to production, in a device manufacturing or consultancy environment
- Detailed design and analysis of components, mechanisms and assemblies including for high volume manufacture
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of manufacturing processes and control
- CAE (FEA, CFD, dynamics/motion analysis, math modelling)
- Experience within a technical consultancy
- Track record of mentoring/people development
- Clear graphical communication skills
- High degree of mechanical acumen to understand mechanism principles
- Experience in systems engineering including design, definition and testing of electromechanical systems and sub-systems
- Experience in managing the industrialisation of devices through high-speed automated assembly processes
- Good understanding of the drug delivery market
- Application and understanding of key industry standards and regulations including ISO 13485, 14971, 21CFR Part 820
- Proficient in the use of Solidworks and/or Pro E
- Good understanding of statistical process control
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Ability to liaise with colleagues, clients and sub-contractors at all levels
- Business development and the ability to develop positive, long-term client relationships
- Experience in technology and supplier assessment
- Structured and methodical problem solving; ability to conduct trade-off analyses
- Willingness to take responsibility and drive activities
- Copes well with unexpected change, is flexible and calm under pressure
- Confident with positive and engaging communication style
- Respectful of others’ views, opinions and contributions
- Collaborates effectively and actively shares own knowledge
- A self-starter who can manage their own time and workload
- Acts with honesty and integrity at all times
- Eager to continually learn and improve
Team values equality, diversity and inclusion in employment and recruitment. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and an inclusive community, where our talented people respect and value the contributions, skills, and abilities of others.
We want our people to succeed on merit, treating individuals equally, including making decisions and providing encouragement and opportunities relating to recruitment, career development and retention in a fair and consistent manner.
Our aim is a workplace free from all forms of bullying, harassment or victimisation, and unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.