Working within a successful, employee-owned medical device design and development consultancy, this is a fantastic opportunity for a highly competent HR generalist to join an established HR team and to swiftly contribute to the delivery of our HR priorities. This is a fixed term role, providing maternity cover for a likely period of 12 months.
Our approach to HR centres around Team’s culture and ethos of putting employees firmly at the centre of our business. We are a team of five HR professionals, working collaboratively to deliver HR services that meet the needs of our internal clients. Using a business partnering model, our HR advisors build close working relationships with line managers and colleagues throughout the business. Through these partnerships we support activities throughout the employment life cycle, from recruitment, onboarding, performance management, employee wellbeing, L&D activities, through to exit.
We enjoy a varied and rewarding time at work. The environment is fast paced; we are typically juggling the needs of our partnering groups, supporting core HR processes and progressing many internal HR projects simultaneously. However, we work in a highly collaborative and supportive culture both within the HR team and with our wider colleagues.
We have included a detailed job description so you can get a feel for what the role entails and understand the qualities that we will be looking for in the successful candidate.
Like many businesses we have significantly changed how we work in the last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The HR team has successfully transitioned to predominantly working from home, with only occasional visits to our beautiful (but COVID-19 safe!) offices in Ickleton and so for now, this role will also be predominantly home based. We will of course provide all the necessary kit to support safe and comfortable home working. We hope that the HR team will increase their time on site, when it is safe to do so, as we know in person interaction is so important in our roles. As you may expect, our interview processes have also had to change, meaning the interviews for this role will be conducted remotely. The HR team are committed to supporting the successful candidate to onboard effectively, so to help them settle into this role we are aiming for a significant hand over period for this maternity cover.
We look forward to receiving your application. Please include a covering letter with you application.
Role and Responsibilities
The HR Advisor effectively partners with the business to achieve our aims of attracting, recruiting, enabling and retaining exceptionally talented people. Our decisions and advice will be in line with best practice and tailored to balance the support our colleagues need with meeting the needs of the business.
The advisor will manage a busy operational and project portfolio. The role content will evolve as expected in a dynamic and forward-looking business but will have the following responsibilities at the core:
- Delivering excellent HR advice on policy and best practice, across all aspects of the employment lifecycle and proactively supporting business groups by developing trusted partnerships
- Efficient delivery of recruitment plans; using market insights, sourcing high calibre, diverse talent and enhancing the candidate experience
- Ensuring effective onboarding in line with Team culture and values, and facilitation of probation management
- Influential and proactive in a mix of initiatives, case management, and pastoral care to colleagues, e.g. employee relations, wellbeing and absence management
- Developing and delivering L&D plans including career opportunities/solutions identification and delivery of agreed action plans, and performance and exit management
- Driving the continuous improvement of HR policies, practices and systems in partnership with key stakeholders, to ensure a great employee experience, ROI, administrative efficiency, and legislative adherence
- Coaching, up-skilling and supporting line managers on best practice approaches to people management issues
- Champion for Team’s values, HR business change, and diversity, equality and inclusion
The role will report to the HR Business Partner.
The advisor will need to be an instinctively collaborative colleague that shares knowledge and shapes ideas collectively, to deliver the best possible output for the business.
Qualifications and Skills
- Broad and varied experience in a generalist HR advisory role or equivalent for at least 5 years
- Educated to a minimum of A level standard or equivalent and at or working towards Advanced level 7 CIPD accreditation
- Knowledge and experience of applying UK employment law across a variety of contract types, cases, and to policy design and development
- Experience in the recruitment of high calibre, specialist talent from need identification/OD, sourcing, interviewing through to offering employment and establishing the employment contract
- Experience of policy advice and case management across the full employment lifecycle
- Excellent personal and HR administration skills and demonstrable experience of HR process development across employment relationship
- Comprehensive knowledge of data protection principles for HR
- Strong HR systems knowledge, including experience in systems development, analytics and related comms
- Confidence in using Word and Excel (at intermediate level) for report writing, documentation, data analysis and presentations
- Degree qualified in a HR, business or management discipline
- Experience of working in a professional services or product design and development environment
- Experience of working in compliance with a QMS
- Experienced user of Cezanne HR
- Experienced user of Workable
- Advanced Word and Excel
- Experienced in training design and delivery, on core HR competencies
- Excellent communication skills – including listening and summarising ability
- Builds trusting, effective and lasting working relationships with colleagues at all levels
- Proactively engages with colleagues and confident in doing so when working remotely
- Knows own limitations and when to ask for support or advice
- Actively shares own knowledge and provides support to HR colleagues
- Plans, organises and manages own workload and delivers on agreed tasks and deadlines
- Is able to work effectively, both independently and as part of a cross-functional team
- Inquisitive and interested in the skills and capabilities of the business
- Champions continuous improvement, drives improvements across HR processes, policies and services
- Collaborative and respectful of others' opinions
- Calm under pressure
- Self-sufficient and willing to take responsibility for own tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Shows integrity and honesty at all times
- Resilient and manages own wellbeing effectively, supportive of colleagues
- A team player, does what is needed to support the HR team, and the wider business, and approaches this positively and supportively
- Friendly, positive and with a professional demeanor
- Approachable, confident and enjoys engaging with a diverse range of colleagues from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines
- Thrives in a fast paced environment, with changing demands that require a constant reassessment of priorities
Additional role requirements and working patterns
- We are open to full time and part time candidates (minimum of 30 hours per week)
Team values equality, diversity and inclusion in employment and recruitment. We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and an inclusive community, where our talented people respect and value the contributions, skills, and abilities of others.
We want our people to succeed on merit, treating individuals equally, including making decisions and providing encouragement and opportunities relating to recruitment, career development and retention in a fair and consistent manner.
Our aim is a workplace free from all forms of bullying, harassment or victimisation, and unlawful or unfair discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships.